Author Topic: Recommendations for wireless speaker setup  (Read 13757 times)

Zaid

• View Profile
Recommendations for wireless speaker setup
« on: April 12, 2017, 10:27:22 AM »
Hey guys. I'm new to this forum and pretty noob in sound setup and stuffs.
Can anyone here advise me on what kind of setup I should get?

I'm working in a place measuring about 50M by 40M. I would like to place wireless(digital wireless maybe?) speakers at the 4 corners, wall mounted. My source of choice is a laptop(easy to use and others to learn to use). Given my many challenges and limited choices, sound quality need not be super. As long as it is loud, not muffled, with little pump in the bass, is great for me.

My budget is about $4K. That is the furthest I can stretch.

A few challengs I'm facing here is that -
1) there is no way I can place the transmitter in the middle of the facility as there are metal structures(i-beam) there.

2) I can only place the transmitter at one specific corner, which is where our computers and servers are at(we don't use wifi routers so I'm not concerned about router interference).

3) as it is a super dusty environment, I have no choice but to get outdoor speakers, or at least i think, I have to.

4) as I am looking into adding a microphone system in the not so near future, I would appreciate if the receiver has a microphone input.

I have narrowed down my search to Amphony Ifinity speakers but they only do it in 110V input and I'm trying to avoid having too many things(eg. voltage converter) going around. The transmitter can only transmit up to 20M through walls(real customer review).

After saying all these, I have 1 final question. Can a wireless extender, extend the range of an audio transmitter? I know that it can extend the wifi(router) range but not sure if it works the same for this application.

Thanks in advance guys. Looking forward to what you guys have to say.

Wizardofoz

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Recommendations for wireless speaker setup
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2017, 09:28:31 PM »
Why do you have to use wireless? Cost would be much less if you used wired speakers back to your receiver. Wireless you still have to run power to each speaker and you also have the issues of sound synchronisation to deal with too, not to mention your coverage as you have noted issues with where to place the transmitter.

You could opt for something like the Oppo Sonica Speakers I guess and operate as a group - I could help you with that but integration of a Mic and voice broadcast gets difficult to manage. Then you still have the wifi coverage issues unless you something like a commercial grade wifi AP

« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 09:31:35 PM by Wizardofoz »

sydney1128

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2017, 12:24:00 AM »
Hi bro Zaid, is the area some form of factory compound?
Where you broadcast some suitable music to "motivate" the workers?
And to make some announcements with the microphone when needed?

I'm trying to understand the situation so can provide better solution.
Looking forward to hearing from you soon.
Thank you.

Zaid

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2017, 03:25:41 PM »
Why do you have to use wireless? Cost would be much less if you used wired speakers back to your receiver. Wireless you still have to run power to each speaker and you also have the issues of sound synchronisation to deal with too, not to mention your coverage as you have noted issues with where to place the transmitter.

You could opt for something like the Oppo Sonica Speakers I guess and operate as a group - I could help you with that but integration of a Mic and voice broadcast gets difficult to manage. Then you still have the wifi coverage issues unless you something like a commercial grade wifi AP

Thanks for sharing! Oppo Sonica seems like a good option I'll keep this in mind. Only downside is they might be damaged relatively faster due to the dusty environment I'm in.

I prefer to get wireless as shifting of speakers wouldn't be much of an issue and would try to minimize wires running around the area. Powerpoints are not an issue as there already are powerpoints near to where I want the speakers to be.

Another thing about wanting wireless speakers is because they have built in amp in each speakers. So I don't have to worry too much about the receiver not having enough juice to power the speakers and also about which guage of wire should I use for the required length and power required(I'm mindblown). I'm also trying to avoid using a full sized amp/receiver or even going into the basic 'professional' grade ones.

Synchronization problem is something that comes with wireless speakers, I'm quite used to dealing with it but so far its not really a deal breaker for me. I might have to look into a commercial grade AP like you mentioned but given my limited budget, I've to prioritize on which equipment gets the most money.

Yeah... Microphone is a big bummer for me too. Can't really find consumer/household grade receivers that have microphone input without being physically big(full sized). I understand that having a mic input requires another set of components in the equipment, thus they are often big as compared to, example a micro hifi set.

Zaid

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2017, 03:34:22 PM »
Hi bro Zaid, is the area some form of factory compound?
Where you broadcast some suitable music to "motivate" the workers?
And to make some announcements with the microphone when needed?

I'm trying to understand the situation so can provide better solution.
Looking forward to hearing from you soon.
Thank you.

Thanks for helping out! My facility is sort of a powerlifting gym where customers are allowed to use powdered chalks(air quality is still in the healthy range, don't worry  ;) )

Yes you're right on that. Having the option to make announcements is great but we do events every quarterly, so being able to stand at the other end of the facility and still be able to speak through the microphone is a wonderful thing and not limiting for the emcees on that day.

I hope I don't have to resort to brands like Lectrosonics or Zaxcom for this application. They cost a bomb. Lol.

sydney1128

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2017, 10:05:14 PM »
Hi Zaid,

I think u might want to try this pro audio option:

1. Get a 4 tracks mixer, consider reliable brands like Mackie, Yamaha which is affordable. Never consider Behringer. Microphone takes up one track, music stereo takes up two tracks. You will left with one track, can use with another microphone. Depending on the microphone you use, you might need to have a mixer with phantom power build in.

2. Then get transmitter to hook up on Mixer, and receiver on active speaker end.

3. Active speaker can consider Mackie, Yamaha or KRK.

Overall this setup is not expensive, affordable within your Budget.

Zaid

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2017, 12:47:30 AM »
Hi Zaid,

I think u might want to try this pro audio option:

1. Get a 4 tracks mixer, consider reliable brands like Mackie, Yamaha which is affordable. Never consider Behringer. Microphone takes up one track, music stereo takes up two tracks. You will left with one track, can use with another microphone. Depending on the microphone you use, you might need to have a mixer with phantom power build in.

2. Then get transmitter to hook up on Mixer, and receiver on active speaker end.

3. Active speaker can consider Mackie, Yamaha or KRK.

Overall this setup is not expensive, affordable within your Budget.

Hi there. Thanks so much for your detailed recommendation. Will definitely look into this setup right away. For transmitter/receiver, any specific brands should I look into?

sydney1128

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2017, 05:26:35 PM »
Hi Bro Zaid,

There are several AV transmitter receiver in market from Sim Lim Square or Lazada online. Price range from $40++ but I have no idea on their audio video quality. Can't recommend you on that.

Don't forget you will need both transmitter and receiver to be power up by either battery or electricity.  Take note of interference and signal drop out unless you are willing to spend more on it, we are talking about exceeding S$500 and above for a professional level.

Unless you don't mind the wiring up the speaker cable, or else this is probably still one of the most reliable option. Can consider the cheaper Belden audio cable as u need to run over potentially 50m.

Alternatively, consider this approach too thru computer:

1. Get a MAC Mini or PC.
2. Buy an audio interface like Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface. You can hook up with USB to your computer for streaming. You can input 2 microphones concurrently. There is one headphone output and stereo master output too.
3. Hook up to transmitter and send signal to speaker with receiver on speaker end.
4. There is a possibility you might be able to send with MAC Airplay too. But u may need one Airpot Express and another to boost signal in midway. I am sure it works with your MAC computer or iPhone without RF transmitter and receiver. But because u add a microphone, that got to test if can send signal out directly from AirPlay.

This is one of the most economical setup.

Zaid

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2017, 09:42:37 PM »
Hi Bro Zaid,

There are several AV transmitter receiver in market from Sim Lim Square or Lazada online. Price range from $40++ but I have no idea on their audio video quality. Can't recommend you on that.

Don't forget you will need both transmitter and receiver to be power up by either battery or electricity.  Take note of interference and signal drop out unless you are willing to spend more on it, we are talking about exceeding S$500 and above for a professional level.

Unless you don't mind the wiring up the speaker cable, or else this is probably still one of the most reliable option. Can consider the cheaper Belden audio cable as u need to run over potentially 50m.

Alternatively, consider this approach too thru computer:

1. Get a MAC Mini or PC.
2. Buy an audio interface like Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface. You can hook up with USB to your computer for streaming. You can input 2 microphones concurrently. There is one headphone output and stereo master output too.
3. Hook up to transmitter and send signal to speaker with receiver on speaker end.
4. There is a possibility you might be able to send with MAC Airplay too. But u may need one Airpot Express and another to boost signal in midway. I am sure it works with your MAC computer or iPhone without RF transmitter and receiver. But because u add a microphone, that got to test if can send signal out directly from AirPlay.

This is one of the most economical setup.

Hey sydney,

Thanks so much for your different recommendations. I'm using a PC so don't have to think so much about airplay. Hahaha.

I've looked up on the goodies that you recommended and they are all great. So I've a few setup options now thanks to you guys.

Most likely going on the path of Mackie mixer, outdoor active speakers and a commercial grade transmitter. Will be doing a bit more search on the microphone.. Trying hard to not go the commercial grade ones.

My colleagues saw the Oppo Sonica and loved it right away. Will be putting a couple of them in the office. Lol  ;D
The focusrite is just too bling to resist. Gonna get one for my personal use. Lol.

I'll keep you guys posted once everything is set up nicely and maybe post some follow up reviews!

Thanks sooo much!

sydney1128

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2017, 10:30:33 AM »
Hi Bro Zaid,

For vocal microphone, consider the famous and affordable Shure SM58. Many use it during live concert & events. It is rugged, good and affordable at around S$145 or the higher output SM58 Beta 58A for S$268 from LutherMusic in Peninsula. I believe you can even sing with it, imagine having karaoke session with music play back  ;D  Hope your staffs enjoy your vocal  ;)
Oh, the Shure is a dynamic mic, so ensure your mixer has phantom power or else it will not work.

Mackie also has outdoor event speakers. Maybe you can consider that too.

Besides Scarlett, you might want to consider Clarett range from Focusrite.
This range is much much better!
It is using Thunderbolt 2, if you do not have Mac at home, then you might want to add a Thunderbolt card for your PC inorder to use it.
You can use it as a standalone preamp or for recording purposes too.
I am using the Clarett 8 Pre.

Once you decided, you can also contact me, I probably can help you get some discount from agent or direct you to buy from.

Do update us after you set it up. If have photo to show will be even wonderful...

Zaid

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2017, 05:08:23 PM »
Hey guys! Its been so long since I posted here. Thanks for all your recommendations and advise above but I'm sorry to say that I've decided to ditch the wireless speaker setup.

I agree with @Wizardofoz, I don't think I want to keep facing wireless issues especially when the facility is crowded  :-\

My worry now is, now that I'm going with a wired setup, what kind of receiver do I need? Assuming I'm getting a 6ohm monitor speaker with potentially 40-50m cable run for the farthest speaker. Most of the mid-range speakers I see are 6ohms.

What I need is that music are playable without having to max out the receiver to achieve an audible volume. Music source is a laptop, using internet radio or spotify.

Source:
- Laptop using internet radio or spotify
- Don't need Hi-Res music

What I need:
- 9 channels
- Audible volume without having to max the receiver
- Weatherproof/Outdoor speakers due to dusty environment
- Preferably passive speakers (less worry for already long wires)
*Bonus, Not a full sized receiver, which I understand might be too much to ask for.
*Another bonus. Individual volume knob for each channel. So that other colleagues of mine can easily operate the receiver. Something like this

What I'm most likely considering:
- Belden cables recommended by @sydney

Help guys!!  :-[

Thanks in advanced!  :D

sydney1128

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2017, 12:28:44 PM »
Hey brother Zaid,

Glad to hear from you again!

Ok, regarding your latest requirement, may I suggest something else?

1. Since the speaker is over 40-50m away from your source/amp, and it is going to be outdoor. Please consider those active PA speaker because they are more robust. Also with active speaker, you no need to worry which huge power AVR you need too because the further the speakers are, signal will drop too. Unless there are no power point at where you going to mount the speakers then no choice but to get passive speakers.
Check this link for the price and models for some ideas and consideration https://www.gearank.com/guides/powered-pa-speakers

2. Instead of a domestic AVR, please seriously consider a pro audio industry mixer, maybe one with at least 10 mono tracks to meet your need of 9 channels. But if you need 9 stereo channels, then you will need a 20-24 channels mixer. Bare in mind some are stereo channels. So find out how many mono or stereo tracks you need. By having pro audio mixer, you can connect any equipments, source and microphone onto it. And best of all each tracks has a gain & volume control for you to set. It is easy to use too once you set up.
If source from computer, then just output from the laptop analogue headphone port or use USB output to a mixer that has USB input. In this case, you can set your volume from computer, mixer or even at active speaker. You can blast the entire industrial park liao  :P
Check this out for some ideas http://www.wirerealm.com/guides/top-10-best-audio-mixers

3. Speaker cable just use Belden enough. Cheap and good.

All and all probably cost less than $2k if you buy brand new. And likely less than $1k if you buy used  ;)

Do not hesitate to ask if you have other queries.
Keep us update.
Cheers!

Koolerton

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2018, 03:01:21 AM »
Hey guys!

Hey, Zaid! Do the speakers work well now? ::)
To be, or not to be: that is the question.

Seth Rollins

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2018, 06:57:01 PM »
Hey brother Zaid,

Glad to hear from you again!

Ok, regarding your latest requirement, may I suggest something else?

1. Since the speaker is over 40-50m away from your source/amp, and it is going to be outdoor. Please consider those active PA speaker because they are more robust. Also with active speaker, you no need to worry which huge power AVR you need too because the further the speakers are, signal will drop too. Unless there are no power point at where you going to mount the speakers then no choice but to get passive speakers.
Check this link for the price and models for some ideas and consideration https://www.gearank.com/guides/powered-pa-speakers

2. Instead of a domestic AVR, please seriously consider a pro audio industry mixer, maybe one with at least 10 mono tracks to meet your need of 9 channels. But if you need 9 stereo channels, then you will need a 20-24 channels mixer. Bare in mind some are stereo channels. So find out how many mono or stereo tracks you need. By having pro audio mixer, you can connect any equipments, source and microphone onto it. And best of all each tracks has a gain & volume control for you to set. It is easy to use too once you set up.
If source from computer, then just output from the laptop analogue headphone port or use USB output to a mixer that has USB input. In this case, you can set your volume from computer, mixer or even at active powered speaker. You can blast the entire industrial park liao  :P
Check this out for some ideas http://www.wirerealm.com/guides/top-10-best-audio-mixers

3. Speaker cable just use Belden enough. Cheap and good.

All and all probably cost less than $2k if you buy brand new. And likely less than $1k if you buy used  ;)

Do not hesitate to ask if you have other queries.
Keep us update.
Cheers!
I'm organizing a roadshow for my company and we are base mostly on outdoor... somewhere at neighborhood areas hence, we need a decent powered speaker for small roadshow base on outdoor. it doesn't have to be extremely loud and we will be using it very often.
My worry now is, now that I'm going with a wired setup, what kind of receiver do I need?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 04:48:52 PM by Seth Rollins »

sydney1128

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2018, 09:48:47 AM »
Hi Seth,

Are you using passive or active speakers?
If wired on passive, what speakers are you using now?
In what kind of room/hall size ?