Author Topic: Speaker veneering  (Read 2919 times)

owm

• View Profile
Speaker veneering
« on: October 10, 2016, 06:45:40 PM »
Hi,

My 1st post on this forum :) Was one of the early members on EchoLoft but my interest in HiFi waned over the years as my other hobbies took precedence.

Now, I am dipping my toes back in and would like to seek advice on those who have done their own veneering on their speakers or knows who/where it can be done.

My 1981 Klipsch Cornwalls in stained birch plywood has picked up a couple of chips/dings over the years and I would like to fix them up and give it a nice veneer to last my lifetime, cheers.

jb

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Speaker veneering
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2016, 07:23:31 PM »
Hi OWM,

welcome on board,hope you rejoin the audio band wagon again... I am also in process to do a ProAc 2.5 spk DIY, so will be my first experience to do veneering later when the box is cut... but  you need a expert to do veneering for you, i think the bro have good contact that do speaker box and veneering... they will post contact for you later...

Since now is year 2016, may be give you Klipsch cornwalls a new coat of paint job that can be done for car body type like silver metallic as shown attached and many other option and cost may be cheaper than replacing veneer.

owm

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2016, 07:50:42 PM »
Hi jb,

Thank you for your reply :)

Greg of Volti Audio has done very nice work over the years on Klipsch Heritage speakers which is what has gotten me interested to refurbish my speakers:
http://www.klipschupgrades.com/restorations.shtml

I am actually contemplating to DIY after doing some research. This is one of the guides I am following:
http://www.joewoodworker.com/veneering/iron-on-veneering.htm
Only problem is that the Heat Lock adhesive cannot be shipped out of US/Canada at the moment so have to consider using PSA-backed veneer or water-based contact cement.

The auto spray painting idea is pretty interesting, especially if can do it in piano black. In any case, still early days to make a decision :D

owm

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2016, 02:01:59 PM »
After heavy deliberation, I am likely to opt for paper-backed veneer with PSA for ease of application and trimming. Wood finish will be Sapele with a natural oil stain to bring out the grain and PU finish to seal the surface. Calculations put it at three 2x8' veneer sheets needed to carry out the job but I will purchase 1 more sheet in case of screw up.

The biggest job will be to square the corners of the speaker cabinet, seal all cracks on the surface with wood filler/glue, sand the birch plywood surface smooth and seal with a PU finish for the veneer adhesive to stick to firmly.

sydney1128

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2016, 02:24:58 PM »
Ever thought of paying carpenter to do the job for you?
I ever paid a carpenter who is working in Tampines area to cut the wood, the hole and glue the veneer according to the colour I wanted.
A pair cost around $300.
It is cheaper to visit the workshop, choose from those leftover veneer and work on it.
Rather than buy one brand new piece of veneer.

Those paper type sticker type can get scratch off very easily....
Think twice...

owm

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2016, 02:45:56 PM »
Hi,

Yup, have thought of asking a carpenter to do it but my speakers are in Malaysia, not Singapore and so far, no shop/carpenter is interested to take up this job. Thus, might have to resort to DIY and I think it will be an interesting project to undertake :)

Paperbacked veneers are commonly used for speaker cabinets, automotive dashboard, cabinets etc. so they are durable enough. Importantly is to not leave them untreated and to coat them with choice of protective finish (PU, Shellac, Tung oil, Linseed oil etc) once the adhesive is fully cured.

Will post updates on this when I finally get started on the project. Will have to firstly remove all speaker units, crossover, wiring and have the bare cabinet ready for sanding, filling and PU topcoat before the veneering process.

sydney1128

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2016, 05:59:58 PM »
okie bro, please update us with some photos if possible so we can all learn from you...
Cheers!

owm

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2016, 03:34:27 PM »
I will create a new thread when I embark on this project so those interested can learn from my mistakes :P