Author Topic: using NAS to stream DSD file through Ethernet to Marantz NA11S1  (Read 19527 times)

jb

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Not sure anyone has done this successfully by streaming DSD file via Ethernet. Read that Buffalo NAS can stream DSD file, hope some forumer that have success with it can share...

Wizardofoz

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: using NAS to stream DSD file through Ethernet to Marantz NA11S1
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2016, 01:35:57 AM »
i do it to PS Audio DS Jr DAC, using both Roon and Jriver. But also the DS Audio app on my NAS sees the DS Jr too but can't recall if I tried DSD playing back from the DS Audio NAS app

jb

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2016, 08:36:23 AM »
Wizardofoz, I need to stream using my Marantz NA11S1 without PC/Mac just stream direct from NAS via Ethernet. Your PS Audio Jr DAC may be able to do it, but I read that Marantz NA11 does not allow direct DSD streaming as below from another forum discussion:

"Using the RJ-45 LAN connection was not as simple. After configuring my Synology 1812+ NAS to stream audio (this involved simply installing and enabling the Synology NAS app Media Server) and connecting the NA-11S1 to my router, I was able to stream redbook rips and high res files but NOT DSD files. I tried a variety of workarounds including minimserver, but still no luck. If DSD is a big portion of your listening, you will need to still use a computer in between and feed the audio from your hard drive/NAS from USB. If anyone successfully finds a way to stream DSD from their Synology NAS to the Marantz NA-11S1, please PM me"

But Buffalo market their NAS as able to stream DSD direct to DLNA to media player, so I am wonder whether this Buffalo NAS were able to do it and worth to take a look.

http://www.audiostream.com/content/buffalo-nas-dsd-over-dlna#gzpdSDbr1MtoH2F0.97

watchdog

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2016, 04:00:01 PM »
I think this is an issue with the NA11 rather than a server side issue. I believe that Minimserver and Twonky are able to stream DSD, but yet the writer at Audiostream was not able to get Minimserver to work with his NA11.

jb

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2016, 02:18:49 PM »
Yes it is an issue with NA11, but I was hoping with the Buffalo NAS it will allow streaming... may just have to try it out then will know.

Wizardofoz

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2016, 04:19:44 PM »
seems I can't play DSD 64 direct to the DSJr from DS Audio app (Synology) either. But other formats seem to work OK.

Maybe not unique to Marantz or perhaps to NAS use of ALSA/DLNA limitations or whatever audio connectivity they are using

https://www.synology.com/en-global/knowledgebase/DSM/tutorial/Multimedia/Can_my_Synology_NAS_stream_Direct_Stream_Digital_DSD_files

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/524-complete-guide-hifi-upnp-dlna-network-audio/

http://www.musicdirect.com/documents/pdf/AMARANA11S1_WP.pdf
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 04:59:56 PM by Wizardofoz »

jb

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2016, 02:11:20 PM »
Some have claim that streaming DSD via Ethernet from NAS, and compare using PC control streaming DSD via USB, there is a mark difference improvement in sound quality in using Ethernet connection. The sound will be more 3 D and real life as less audio information is loss during the streaming process. That is why thinking of getting the Buffalo NAS to try direct streaming DSD to NA11, but I am not sure whether it will works. Any bro have success in direct Ethernet streaming of DSD and whether there is a mark improvement in sound as compare to through USB.

Wizardofoz

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2016, 06:07:45 PM »
if you want to try from Synology yr welcome to bring yr dac over.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 06:09:32 PM by Wizardofoz »

jb

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2016, 06:19:56 PM »
Wizardofoz,

Thanks for the offer, but I think Synology NAS will not work with NA11 as already try out by users in other forum via direct DSD streaming, There is only a slight chance that Buffalo NAS LS421DE may work and I try to gather any users here had already try this, else I may have to get this NAS and try it out myself.

jb

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2016, 08:46:49 PM »
Finally manage to get the Buffalo NAS LS421DE from Sim Lim Square, info say it supports DLNA , UPnP and DSD file streaming... will test out whether able to stream direct from NAS to Marantz NA11S1 for DSD file... will report back later...

« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 03:10:52 PM by jb »

annapurna

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2016, 04:53:23 PM »
Finally manage to get the Buffalo NAS LS421DE from Sim Lim Square, info say it supports DLNA , UPnP and DSD file streaming... will test out whether able to stream direct from NAS to Marantz NA11S1 for DSD file... will report back later...

Keep us updated.  I am also using Synology DS1515+ and cannot stream to my Marantz NA11S1.    If it works, dont mind buying a Buffalo NAS just for DSD music.

jb

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2016, 02:03:22 PM »
After setting up the NAS and trying different media player, but only able to native stream AAC, WMA and FLAC but not DSD file for NA11S1 :(  , however it is able to native streaming DSD file for the Marantz NA8005 network player . NA11S1 is using Burr Brown DSD1792A DAC chip, and NA8005 is using Cirrus Logic CS4398 , but both DAC have access to the DSD data , so the decision is with manufacturer no to implement native streaming for NA11S1.

Generally I find native streaming even AAC,WMA or FLAC file sound better than using Jriver on Mcbook pro via USB B port. It sound more natural as compare to using PC streaming. I guess the USB is not really a good format for high resolution audio streaming, where as the LAN cable via TCP/IP can cut away a lot of noise and is truely asynchronous transmission.

jb

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2016, 03:55:07 PM »
Will be trying out next on this optic converter and streaming audio file via fiber optic to reduce electrical conducted noise, will see how it goes...
Please note that for audio file streaming, to reduce noise you need to use a gigabit switch , so that the NAS to network player has the shortest Lan Path. Do not place the NAS to the router ethernet lan port, as that will add more noise and more data error to your system.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 10:03:32 PM by jb »

MusicEar

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2016, 09:46:32 PM »
After setting up the NAS and trying different media player, but only able to native stream AAC, WMA and FLAC but not DSD file for NA11S1 :(  , however it is able to native streaming DSD file for the Marantz NA8005 network player . NA11S1 is using Burr Brown DSD1792A DAC chip, and NA8005 is using Cirrus Logic CS4398 , but both DAC have access to the DSD data , so the decision is with manufacturer no to implement native streaming for NA11S1.

NA-11S1 cannot stream DSD via NAS due to hardware limitations via Ethernet input. However, it can playback DSD natively via its USB input (using Marantz ASIO driver) when using a PC. The new NA8005 allows streaming of DSD using DoP method via Ethernet, but not native DSD. You need to install MinimServer in the NAS in order to work.

collins

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2016, 10:21:09 PM »
Some observation from my recent NAS upgrade: it is advisable to use an entry-level NAS rather than a high-end model with many functions.

I recently bought an Asustor AS202T NAS with a Crucial 750G SSD to upgrade from my Buffalo LS421DE NAS (same one as jb's.) Using Asustor's system monitor, I found out that music streaming is a stressless job that requires very little hardware resources of the NAS. When streaming 44.1kHz/16bit WAV file, CPU utilisation (Intel ATOM 1.2Ghz) is only 1%, memory utilisation is 17% and network trafficis only around 200~250kb/s. Playing HD file increases network transfer to about 600kb/s to 1Mb/s, without adding to the CPU and memory load. So actually the NAS is idling most of the time.

I guess a high-end NAS with all the transcoding hardware and circuit will only inject more noise to the system.