Author Topic: Kontak Audio Cleaning Fluid  (Read 14225 times)

watchdog

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Kontak Audio Cleaning Fluid
« on: August 28, 2016, 03:54:27 PM »
Introduction

We audiophiles all know that cleanliness is next to godliness, but how much of a difference can cleaning make, and what do we use to clean connectors, sockets etc ?

At the very minimum, we need to keep contacts clean and free from oil, grease and dirt. Most of use would have the habit of avoiding touching our plugs with our bare fingers, or wiping it down with some isopropyl alcohol periodically. I used to apply a very popular contact enhancer to my system, but it tended to gunk up after a while and imparted a strange sound over time.

Kontak Audio Cleaning Fluid is not a new product. It has been around for ages, and is claimed to have been originally designed for military aerospace application, and not to leave any residue.

The amount of fluid provided should be enough to last for a few years of use.

Surfaces aren't merely clean because they look so. I decided to try cleaning the spade connectors on my speaker cables on the amplifier side only. These are Cardas rhodium plated connectors.

I must say that this product is really effective. My system was definitely producing sound that was clearer, with an improvement in fine detail and bass articulation. A subtle layer of "grit" had been removed too. It didn't take much effort to notice the differences, and the improvements were obvious without any noticeable downsides or tonal anomalies. Very impressive considering that this was achieved with just cleaning at one connection point.

Conclusion

Works as claimed and at a price tag that doesn't break the bank. Every audiophile needs a bottle. I've heard complaints about the bottle having sealing issues, so make sure you check your bottle when you purchase it.

Kontak costs S$ 40 and is available at Audio Basic, #04-27, The Adelphi. Tel : 6338 3245

WCK

• Freshman member
    • View Profile
Re: Kontak Audio Cleaning Fluid
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2016, 05:50:54 PM »
Since our lives don't depend on it (not on airplane), a can of $6.50 contact cleaner from the neighbourhood hardware shop does the job as well.

watchdog

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2016, 07:35:57 PM »
Since our lives don't depend on it (not on airplane), a can of $6.50 contact cleaner from the neighbourhood hardware shop does the job as well.

For what it's worth, I've used regular contact cleaner, denatured alcohol and Pro-gold. All three sound quite different. Pro-gold and it's cousin De-oxit are the most effective products I've used in restoring the shine to plated surfaces and regular nickel plated connectors respectively. But as for their sound ...
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 06:43:34 PM by watchdog »

WCK

• Freshman member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2016, 08:29:58 AM »
OIC.

If so you then should checkout https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhodium and then ask why when you clean your Rhodium plated connectors, you can report a difference.

Only pure Rhodium is inert - chemical complexes can be reactive (as per listed under Precautions in the article).

One possibility is the Rhodium plating on the Cardas connectors is not pure Rhodium.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 09:35:08 AM by WCK »

bear1014

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2016, 07:35:39 PM »
hi, anyone could recemmond other brands of contract cleaner? Kontact is out of stock when i called the shop last two weeks. date of shipment arrival could not be advised.

I found at ntuc fp, Selleys RP7, but it is of oil based, not suitable for hifi use. What is the brand for the so called 6.50 or other mid priced cleaners? thanks
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 08:16:27 PM by bear1014 »

WCK

• Freshman member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2016, 09:17:55 AM »
hi, anyone could recemmond other brands of contract cleaner? Kontact is out of stock when i called the shop last two weeks. date of shipment arrival could not be advised.

I found at ntuc fp, Selleys RP7, but it is of oil based, not suitable for hifi use. What is the brand for the so called 6.50 or other mid priced cleaners? thanks

Sorry $5.50 for 200ml spray (white can with blue band on base) as I got the price wrong. Bought it at a local hardware shop in the HDB areas. Quite easily found in many such shops.

Local SG brand JACKIE SPRAY 90 Degreaser&Cleaner For Use on Printed Circuit Boards, Magnetic Tapes, Electronic Relays, etc.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 09:47:31 AM by WCK »

bear1014

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2016, 08:15:51 PM »
finally, kontak cleaner shipment arrived this evening.
Just bought a bottle.

other brands, such as Caig deoxit proGold, discussed at other forum http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?1652-Contact-Cleaning-The-Right-Stuff
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 10:31:03 PM by bear1014 »

sydney1128

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2016, 12:03:10 AM »
Thanks for the update, bro!
I'll rush to get a bottle sometime next week!