Author Topic: The power distributor thread  (Read 10477 times)

watchdog

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The power distributor thread
« on: June 11, 2017, 02:36:02 PM »
If you want to draw a bit of flak to yourself, just try telling your non-audiophile friends (or starter audiophile too for that matter) that a power distributor has an impact on the sound.

Recently, I had a few people over to listen to my system. We swapped out the power conditioner for four different power distributors.

The baseline reference is the Plixir Elite BAC 1500 balanced power supply. This unit only powers two units in my system, my Melco N-1ZH audiophile NAS, and the Singxer SU-1 USB/SPDIF bridge that is connected to it. In all cases, we unplugged the BAC and transferred the power cords (from both the wall and the components) to the distributors.

Four distributors were used in total :-

1. Acoustic Revive RTP-6 Ultimate
2. Furutech RTP-6 (the stock FPX-R outlets were swapped out for Furutech GTX-D (R) outlets)
3. DIY distributor (using teflon insulated OCC copper wire and three different types of outlets, the Oyaide R-1, Furutech GTX-D(R) NCF and Orb HP-2GB)
4. Orb Kamakura

Let me post some pictures before commenting on the results.

watchdog

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: The power distributor thread
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2017, 02:45:02 PM »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

watchdog

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2017, 02:57:37 PM »
I hope that benlzy and tiktokape can contribute their own impressions on the distributors. My $0.02 :-

Very refined sound with a noticeably laidback presentation. A tinge of warmth and smoothness coupled with good detail.

2. Furutech RTP-6N

This was to me subtly less detailed than the RTP-6 but otherwise performed quite well. It is blacker and darker sounding than the Acoustic Revive.

3. DIY distributor

I thought that both the R1 and Furutech outlets performed quite well (we didn't try the Orb) - very smooth and grain-free sound. I thought it lacked a bit of bite.

4. Orb Kamakura

This Japanese beauty could probably be easily identified in a blind test. Grand, majestic and a flow that was both golden and silky at the same time. I felt that this distributor deviated the most from neutrality. Really beautiful to listen to although not really true to the recording.

I would dare say that Benlzy loved the Orb, while Tiktokape preferred the BAC.

benlzy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2017, 12:15:15 PM »
Thank you Watchdog for having us over and for your kind hospitality that evening :D

I will give my impressions in the order of the AR rtp6, Furutech rtp6, DIY distro and finally the Orb Kamakura, as listening was done in that order. Prior to this visit, I had the luxury of using the Furutech rtp6 in my system for an extended duration and I was very pleased by its performance.

1. AR rtp6

Switching from the elite bac1500 to the AR rtp6, first impression was that of refinement. Everything felt more relaxed and natural and I preferred this a lot more than the elite bac1500. Background was very black and vocals had more presence. Detail retrieval was excellent.

2. Furutech rtp6

Going from the AR rtp6 to the Furutech rtp6 was a leap in the other direction. My heart sank as what I considered to be a very good performing distributor, was easily outclassed. Though the furu rtp6 had a fuller sound, it was muddy in comparison and lots of details were missing from the presentation.

3. DIY distributor

I initially had mixed feelings about this distributor. At first, I mistook the R1 for NCF receptacles and was very surprised at how 'dull' it sounds, lacking engagement (very laid back and thin). Was only after I commented that Watchdog said it was the R1 I was listening to :-[. It felt like a side-grade to the Furutech rtp6.

Swapping to the NCF receptacles provided an improvement in detail retrieval and musical engagement. Strings sounded livelier and the overall performance was elevated to 'good enough' for me. What I meant is although it didn't rival the AR rtp6, I could certainly live with this + the NCF receptacles ;D

4. Orb Kamakura

Nothing could have prepared me for this. Watchdog was downplaying it, saying it has not been used for a long time/not burnt in etcetc :P. I really didn't know what to expect because I've no experience with high end distributors. The strum of the guitar strings in the opening seconds was already a 'wow' for me :o As the music played, I felt drawn into the performance. The Orb Kamakura was rich, musical, sweet, smooth yet highly resolving. Felt like it checked all my boxes! Soundstage width and depth was huge, vocals were lustfully sweet, bass had authority and grip, highs were very extended.. This was clearly in a different league than all the other distributors and although I agree that it strays from the original performance, I would argue that it elevates it. I'm not a 'neutral/true to performance' kind of guy, preferring a more musical, sweet, organic yet natural kind of presentation.

Overall, this was the only distributor that gave me goosebumps! In fact, even as I'm typing this, it takes me back and I realised I am grinning goofily at my monitor ;D Watchdog is right, I really loved the Orb and everything about it, just not the price tag.. :'(
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 12:18:55 PM by benlzy »

sydney1128

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2017, 11:02:51 AM »
Guys, roughly what is the retail price for each of the power distributor?

2. Furutech RTP-6 (the stock FPX-R outlets were swapped out for Furutech GTX-D (R) outlets)
3. DIY distributor (using teflon insulated OCC copper wire and three different types of outlets, the Oyaide R-1, Furutech GTX-D(R) NCF and Orb HP-2GB)
4. Orb Kamakura
5. Plixir Elite BAC 1500 balanced power supply

jb

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2017, 04:57:38 PM »
Nice and detail review of the distributor and also timely for me as I am considering the Furutech GTX-D(R) NCF, and base on review Acoustic Revive is also highly recommend. But I notice that Acoustic Revive is actually using Oyaide R1 with modification to electrode parts to thick silver plating and thick rhodium plating. I have the original Oyaide R1 receptacle and it sound thin... not sure whether can buy this special edition Oyaide R1 to try?

« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 05:43:58 PM by jb »

watchdog

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2017, 06:26:48 PM »
@JB, as far as I'm aware, the outlet from Acoustic Revive is not available for sale separately.

The rough retail price (I'm relying on rusty memory - prices also fluctuate depending on the JPY / SGD exchange rate),

1. >$3k
2. 1.6k (this is a very old model and I just added the cost of the GTX-D(R) receptacles to the retail cost)
3. $ 800 (parts cost only)
4. $6k
5. $3k

Tiktokape

• View Profile
The power distributor thread
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2017, 09:29:50 AM »
Thanks to Watchdog for the the wonderful hospitality for both Benlzy & myself. Definitely a joyful event coupled with interesting insights at various price range of products we tried that evening.

Similarly like Benlzy, I was the first to try out the modified Furutech RTP-6 for a couple of weeks before it was handed over to Benlzy from our common friend. Prior to that, I'm using Oyaide MTB6R1 which remains in my system till date.

0) Sound Affairs Elite BAC 1500 (BAC 1.5k)

1) Acoustic Revive RTP-6 Mark-2 (AR RTP-6)
As inserted, immediate points came to me are refinement, resolution, blacker background with very good retrieval of details in a relaxing manner with tab of warmness.

2) Furutech RTP-6 (F-RTP-6)
Details are much lesser against AR RTP-6 but comparable against BAC 1.5k in a more forward presentation. F-RTP-6 is much fuller in both ends with darker background.

3) DIY Distributor
Oyaide R1 - It is focus with good high frequency however less weighty at the bottom end.

Furutech GTX-D (NCF) - It is slightly warmer than Oyaide R1. Very good retrieval of details, bottom end is more controlled with grip.

4) ORB Kamakura
This is the eye-popping candy of the evening. Immediate key points came into my mind - high resolution and huge stage-scaler boy, sweetly chocolate and very musical. It is in fact the most easy listener of the night BUT presentation is just not realistic when compared against former ones. I would reckon this will appeal to typical crowd but not the price tag!

To conclude, I prefers Sound Affairs Elite BAC 1500 among the rest of boys being compared. It is the most neutral dude among them with a better balance in the system personally - I prefers a more neutral presentation. I would be curious to find out how BAC 1.5k will sound like if the receptacle, IEC inlet and fuse are changed!

Taking BAC 1.5k out of sight, I will take AR RTP-6 on immediate intent among 4 passive distributors. That said, it will be interesting to find out how AR RTP-6 mark 3 will perform if future permits.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 09:32:34 AM by Tiktokape »

Tiktokape

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2017, 12:58:21 PM »
Here is my second part. As mentioned in earlier post that I'm using Oyaide MTB6R1 in my current system.

Having Furutech RTP-6 in my system closed to a month. It has been modified with Furutech GTX-D (R) outlets, 2 out of 3 sets have been deployed.

It is fuller and weighty but not the thick presentation when I first heard it. It is more forward compared against MTB6R1 and more incisive in character for one who listen to NuMetal, Fast Rock, Rap etc, it does suits quite well.