Author Topic: DSD vs PCM - note from Ayre  (Read 6936 times)

jb

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
DSD vs PCM - note from Ayre
« on: September 18, 2016, 08:12:20 AM »
Some interest reading for DSD Vs PCM from Ayre, you can try download their test file and try it on your system and compare between the two format. The conversion of DSD to PCM file for recording process and playback definite add more noise back to the original music signal.

http://www.ayre.com/insights_dsdvspcm.htm

jb

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: DSD vs PCM - note from Ayre
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2016, 08:49:54 AM »

WildRain

• Freshman member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2016, 12:36:02 PM »
It is not easy to form an opinion based on these articles due to possibility vested interests or other bias, or lack therof.

Wondering any bros have experience with similar comparisons of their own. Not from the sample files by these sites.....rather by vinyl rips of their own....using PS-Audio phono/ADC or TASCAM
Sony Z1es | Densen DM20 | DM30 | Dynaudio S1.4

Nordost Heimdall | Baldur | QED Genesis

Maestro | 7N-4030 | Plixir Elementa BAC3000 | PC

watchdog

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2016, 01:47:07 PM »
Now that you mention it, I do have a Sony PCM-D100 digital recorder that can record in both DSD and PCM. Let's see what I can do

jb

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2016, 04:15:59 PM »
It is true the noise raise up at 25 Khz and above, but most SACD will have low pass filter to cut away the noise, and for my ear don't think can hear above 15 Khz, so for me the DSD sound more three dimensional and wider sound stage, and more details, I prefer it over PCM CD 44.1Khz .

MusicEar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2016, 09:58:50 PM »
The whole idea behind DSD superiority is to avoid the decimation stage in the front end (ADC)-recording stage, and harsh digital filtering in the DAC during playback. Modern DSD DAC provides separate paths, one for PCM, this one goes to 8x over-sampling and steep cut-off digital filter, while DSD bypass these and goes directly to the conversion stage to analog.You can check out modern PCM/DSD capable DACs like Cirrus Logic CS4398 or AKM 4490 data sheet. The response impulse is almost analog in nature and have much lower noise floor up to 15kHz than conventional 24bit PCM. Also note, noise of DSD gradually rises up instead get chopped off abruptly like in PCM. Noise gradually rise up at 22kHz and above for DSD64, while DSD128 will start to rise above 44kHz and so on for higher sampling rates. More info below:

http://www.nashaudiophile.com/analog-pcm-and-dsd/

I've been listening and collecting SACDs for almost a decade, my impression of SACD and now DSD downloads are always sound more 'analog' than PCM. DSD gives a excellent micro-dynamic and soundstage, everything seemed to snapped into its space. It is less 'fatigue' compared PCM. Converting PCM to DSD in some way help to reduce the 'hard' sounding of PCM but this requires a moderate processing power.

Also native DSD recording sounds the best, they have the least editing than PCM. Do note, some DSD downloads are actually from PCM master so do check the originality. In the end of day, you have to listen for yourself to make the judge. There's no right or wrong!
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 10:02:31 PM by MusicEar »

Wizardofoz

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2016, 12:01:43 PM »
A good DSD dac will have effective filters to kill off the noise above 25-30KHz but some might argue that as its there in the process of conversion its still an issue...IMHO I'm not bothered by it. everyone hears differently...