Author Topic: The stingy olive / no budget thread  (Read 30496 times)

WildRain

• Freshman member
    • View Profile
Re: The stingy olive / no budget thread
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2016, 12:22:53 AM »
It may be, esp after u factor in the number of equipments, room acoustic and listener preference.
Its more abt the implementation than paper talk

Will try this if i get a chance bro.

Anyone has experience with QED Genesis Silver spiral spk cables?
Sony Z1es | Densen DM20 | DM30 | Dynaudio S1.4

Nordost Heimdall | Baldur | QED Genesis

Maestro | 7N-4030 | Plixir Elementa BAC3000 | PC

Marin0

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2016, 02:18:05 PM »
I just went on Monday to LHS and got Belden Bi-wire 1810A speaker cables with all the connectors. Excellent service, I waited about 30 mins to fix the cable.
Very affordable price and great value. I am quite happy with the sound improvement (I compared this cable to my previous QED Original cable and audioquest (flat) bi-wire).

Thanks for advice about daiso gel I'll try this soon. I'm using blu-tack now. Cheers.

Here is a list of places to visit or parts to try for the financially challenged.

1. LHS Electronics Enterprise - #02-27 Sim Lim Tower
2. Del Audio - #02-32 Sim Lim Tower
3. Koba  Electronics - #03-06 People's Park Centre
4. Daiso - All over the island
5. Ikea - Alexandra and Tampines

LHS is probably your best stop to start for affordable speaker cables, or wires of any sort. They also stock decent but affordable connectors like Canare, Neutrik, Marinco, MK etc.

Marin0

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2016, 10:00:55 PM »
Daiso Tampines - just got 4 packs of gel and fixed on stands  👍🏻 🔊🔊
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/b8e9iq4hykxb33x/AADJcvTgYIdNVJXcTnqXz4SPa?dl=0

Marin0

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2016, 11:33:55 PM »
imho this gel is not good for my speakers/stands.Sound became a weird after fixing :P
I'll try it instead under electronics.

watchdog

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2017, 11:34:51 AM »
I've obtained a decent quantity of the Belden 9497 speaker cable. Stay tuned for my impressions. These can be obtained for $4 / m from LHS. This cable has been highly recommended by Shindo-san from Shindo labs no-less !

Wizardofoz

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2017, 01:17:49 PM »
Belden make some pretty decent cables and especially used in the pro markets where good transmission and durability are key. My Linkwitz speakers are all Belden 2, 4 or 8 core and never any complaints.

WildRain

• Freshman member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2017, 12:23:00 PM »
I've obtained a decent quantity of the Belden 9497 speaker cable. Stay tuned for my impressions. These can be obtained for $4 / m from LHS. This cable has been highly recommended by Shindo-san from Shindo labs no-less !

Staying tuned  :)

Darknight

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2017, 01:57:38 PM »
I've spent some time evaluating various interconnects at varied price brackets ($1xx to $6xxx). The outcome has been an insightful one. While there is not day and night differences, my findings are that as one moves up the line with better and more advance cable builds, there is simply more refinement, resolution, decay and micro dynamics when done right.

In my evaluations, there was a cable that left me astounded. It was one of the cheaper cables of the bunch with performance that was close to the average of the cables I had tested. It is well balanced, full and articulate with good clarity and extension at both ends of the spectrum. Due to the cable's quiet and 'black' nature, it presented above average detail with a liquidity that was quite captivating! If I had to nitpick, and without consideration to price, it lacked the utmost resolution, micro dynamics and control of the deepest bass notes. Considering the price (RRP USD 500 for 6 feet xlr ic) and in comparison to top tier, top dollar cables, this is high praise!

I throughly enjoyed my time with this cable and will very enthusiastically recommend it to anyone looking for a high performance cable for little money. Overall, it is quite neutral in character with a slight emphasis in the mids. It is well balanced throughout with a smoothness that is not overly analytical or fatiguing for longer listening sessions. I would be hard pressed to do better at this price point.

The cable described here is none other than the Soundstring Gen II interconnect which is distributed locally by Horizon Acoustics in Singapore. Contact Mr Poon for an audition and pricing.
Associated Equipment: MSB Platinum Transport > Schiit Yiggy > Pass XP10 > Acoustic Imagery Atsah 1200 monos > Wilson Sasha

WildRain

• Freshman member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2017, 05:49:35 PM »
I've spent some time evaluating various interconnects at varied price brackets ($1xx to $6xxx). The outcome has been an insightful one. While there is not day and night differences, my findings are that as one moves up the line with better and more advance cable builds, there is simply more refinement, resolution, decay and micro dynamics when done right.

In my evaluations, there was a cable that left me astounded. It was one of the cheaper cables of the bunch with performance that was close to the average of the cables I had tested. It is well balanced, full and articulate with good clarity and extension at both ends of the spectrum. Due to the cable's quiet and 'black' nature, it presented above average detail with a liquidity that was quite captivating! If I had to nitpick, and without consideration to price, it lacked the utmost resolution, micro dynamics and control of the deepest bass notes. Considering the price (RRP USD 500 for 6 feet xlr ic) and in comparison to top tier, top dollar cables, this is high praise!

I throughly enjoyed my time with this cable and will very enthusiastically recommend it to anyone looking for a high performance cable for little money. Overall, it is quite neutral in character with a slight emphasis in the mids. It is well balanced throughout with a smoothness that is not overly analytical or fatiguing for longer listening sessions. I would be hard pressed to do better at this price point.

The cable described here is none other than the Soundstring Gen II interconnect which is distributed locally by Horizon Acoustics in Singapore. Contact Mr Poon for an audition and pricing.

Thanks for sharing bro. Mind sharing briefly about your setup? Just for the context of the comparison.

Darknight

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2017, 06:05:26 PM »

Thanks for sharing bro. Mind sharing briefly about your setup? Just for the context of the comparison.

Updated.
Associated Equipment: MSB Platinum Transport > Schiit Yiggy > Pass XP10 > Acoustic Imagery Atsah 1200 monos > Wilson Sasha

jb

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2017, 09:28:55 PM »
Bro Darknight, which other brand of cable have you try on the sound system for evaluation? actually I have an LCR meter that can measure accurately the cable impedance, may be next time we can perform the impedance measurement and built up the cable electrical characteristic with an objective listen to how the cable sound, that will be great.

WildRain

• Freshman member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2017, 10:37:40 AM »
Anyone tried those cheap China made grounding boxes. Quite a few MOs and dealers these days.

sydney1128

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2018, 09:52:21 AM »
Yes, couple of my friends using the China made grounding box with positive results.
Mostly go with silver grounding cable as they felt copper less effective in their system.