Author Topic: HiFi visiting in Sarawak  (Read 50627 times)

jb

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: HiFi visiting in Sarawak
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2016, 03:11:08 PM »
the brooke dynasty , a pirate sword, British sword

« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 04:00:23 PM by jb »

jb

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2016, 03:13:19 PM »
Japanese surrender...

court yard inside the fort...

Jail...

« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 04:01:39 PM by jb »

jb

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2016, 03:14:22 PM »
over look to kuching town along the riverside....

« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 04:02:08 PM by jb »

jb

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2016, 11:02:32 AM »
Sorry for the sidetrack, now back to Hifi  :). Today we visited Mr. Chang hifi room, he likes clear, clarity double bass music. So he choosen the B&W 801 for bass woofer, but he prefers the B&W 703 mid range and high freqency, so two pairs of B&W speaker were used for his hifi setup. He use three pairs of Dussun amplifier to drive the B&W speaker, source is Marantz SA11S2. His hifi room has just recently built with a size of L=25ft, W=15 and H=9 , ratio (1:1.66:2.77), the room size is rather comfortable and he also used it for home theatre usage. He played some drum track, well the B&W 801 presentation of low bass is good, the bass drum attack and clarity is all there.

As Mr. Chang has the Mini-DSP Mic and REW software, so we do some room acoustic measurement for the room. From the measurement there is a big dip in SPL at 30 Hz, and we verify using the single sine freq  sweep. the bass freq is very loud at 40 Hz , but when reached 30 Hz , very little bass is heard but move to 20Hz , bass start to appear again. This is a very strange behavior of the room that I have measured so far..as his hifi room front and back is using glass panels, we suspect the glass panel may have flex and cause the 30 Hz dip...anyway this is puzzle he has to solve later.

The room SPL :

His hifi setup:

dussun amp:

« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 04:06:15 PM by jb »

jb

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2016, 11:06:06 AM »
Cork material that he use for acoustic treatment:

Marantz Home theatre amp:

« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 04:05:13 PM by jb »

victor

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2016, 04:51:33 PM »
Hi Bong,

It was nice meeting up with you after all these years.
Glad you enjoy your recent trip to Kuching, Sarawak, especially the listening sessions and the good food.
Thank you for your feedback on our sound systems. I bet, all the guys would appreciate as much as I have.

Cheers !
Victor

jb

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2016, 10:31:56 PM »
Hi Vic,

yes, this trip is fun trip and I enjoy the listening sessions and the good food that you guy host me. Do give me a call if you guy drop by Singapore for Visit, we go try some famous bak kut teh or chicken rice here.

I hope the REW software and mic that you guy have can help tune your system acoustic better and keep improve the hifi system sound, and share your knowledge. It has been great meeting you guy and share of hifi and food.

jb

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2016, 10:01:49 AM »
The next house that I visited were quite far as is opposite the Sarawak river, it takes almost 40 minutes to reach Ah Dah hifi room. The owner is motorcycle mechanic and his hifi room is on second floor of his shop house. Well of all the house that I visited, this room has the max fun factor!
Ah Dah is using Adam speaker driving by BMC cdp and amp, the sound is slightly bright as he use super tweeter I think but still a very good hifi system sound, need to get the warm vocal tone out as that is soul of music, but this is not the main events!

His room is actually main for home theater and movie, the front row has three actual  cinema chair completed with coke bottle holder. He started play some movie with Daniel Craig as James bond. The action scene is when he is top of high building and hoping to different building at 1000ft high, then some how the wall of building start collapse...when the wall fail down, well we feel the gush of wind blow from right to left, this is a system that you not only hear it loudly but feel it like 4D cinema hahaha! The SPL may be at 110 dB or more, he has three 15" passive sub woofer just beside the first right chair, avoid sitting at this chair if possible as you may not be able to take the high sound pressure level! but it is fun and I have a good laugh of it!!
Then he play some Alan Tam concert show, the Sony projector has a very clear and crispy image, indeed is a great home theater system. we quickly bye the host good nite after 15 mins of listen as the SPL level is loud... but a fun system!!!

« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 04:08:58 PM by jb »

jb

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2016, 10:12:18 AM »
he used those ferrite bead use in motor car to absorb the digital noise on cable.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 04:11:17 PM by jb »

jb

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2016, 10:13:10 AM »
BMC cdp and amp

« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 04:10:55 PM by jb »

jb

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2016, 10:39:20 PM »
Continue on my hifi journey, we are back in Kuching town and this time we visited Mr. Sim hifi room. Mr. Sim is not technically savvy so he has friend to help  set up the hifi system for him, but he did know what a good sound should be and that is all needed here. He is also a very savvy business man, as he sometime bring his customer back to his house to listen hifi before talk business and often yield good results ;D . I like his character as he is generous to friends and his family and has a great family.

His Hifi room is fully cover with nice wood surface and no much acoustic treatment but casual cushion to absorb the echo. He is using Magneplanar 3.7i speaker driven by Audio research cdp, preamp and power amp. The sound is lively with nice sound stage and vocal image, this is also a well setup system that sound musical and able to listen for long duration without fatigue. He also has a set of McIntosh power amp that he intend to replace the audio research power amp later, I think with McIntosh amp , the sound will even be sweeter and will be a good match for his speaker. Looking forward to hear his new setup in the near future...

« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 04:28:46 PM by jb »

jb

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2016, 10:40:20 PM »
McIntosh power amp

« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 04:23:33 PM by jb »

zaku51

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2017, 01:50:46 PM »
That all for Sarawak?

jb

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2017, 02:36:34 PM »
7 more houses to go once I sort out the photo....

watchdog

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2017, 12:44:18 PM »
7 more houses to go once I sort out the photo....

Wow ! That is some tour. Don't keep us waiting too long :)